The Shaggy Cow Mittagong is a popular lunchtime venue on the turn-off to Bowral. It has quite a gourmet and seasonal menu with all food made fresh on-site. Despite not having pies on the menu year-round, there are still plenty of satisfying options on the menu to choose from and you can be guaranteed a pie during the month of June for Pie Time.
There is a hive of activity inside the cafe at its many tables. It seems to be where local business goers ‘do lunch’ and there is a small outdoor area to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine should the weather permit.
- Distance: 7km
- Pie Running Time: 35 minutes
- Pies: Pork with Beef Cheek, served on mash with a salad and free mocktail.
- Pastry: OK. It was a filo style pastry which worked well with this pie. Compared with the recent butter based pastry we’d experienced it was a little lacking.
- Filling: This was a very well constructed pie with complimentary flavours.
- Cost: $28. Included a mocktail which was quite refreshing. Like a mojito minus the rum! Compared with other dine-in pies we’d tried this was priced quite high.
- Sauce tax: None, sauce as included.