Part of the Southern ‘Pielands’ Gumnut franchise. The Gumnut Patisserie Mittagong acts as the beating heart of this local Gumnut pie enterprise. It forms the warehouse where the famed Gumnut pies are made and sent to the Bowral and Berrima branches. Bowral bound pie hounds may want to stop here for a pie to avoid weekend crowds and also parking in Bowral. There are walls full of awards and even a pastry chef hall of fame. If you were ever in doubt of the Southern Highlands dedication to baking then visit this store! It’s just off the main road in the industrial area of Mittagong.
- Distance: 6.5km
- Pie Time: 35 mins
We had tried almost the entire Gumnut menu by now so we opted for the shepherd’s pie (beef and potato) plus the sausage rolls here are so awesome, so whilst on a pie hunt it made a suitable side dish. Also, there were salted caramel milkshakes as a special which quickly made it to the order.
- Pies: Beef & potato; Sausage Roll
- Pastry: Whilst the pie lid was replaced with potato, the base was fresher than the other Gumnut outlets, given the pie is made on site.
- Filling: Hard to compare to a standard pie but the potato was quite creamy.
- Cost: $6:20 for gourmet pies; $5:30 for classics. ($2 extra for dine-in table service)
- Sauce tax: 30 cents a sachet.