Repeated winners of the Royal Easter Show pie competitions, Gumnut Pattiserie Bowral is considered royalty by locals in Bowral. The shopfront windows are littered with gold medals it’s difficult to see through to the pies! The run to Bowral was longer than expected after an attempted cross-country run to Gumnut Patisserie Berrima was thwarted. Don’t always trust Google maps! So, with no time to spare, the closer Gumnut outlet in Bowral was settled on. Gumnut Bakery in Bowral is located close to Memorial Park, home to the ANZAC cenotaph where we had recently attended a very moving dawn service.
- Distance: 9km (6.5km longer due to failed Berrima attempt!)
- Pie Time: 50 mins
Having had the Eden pie previously we were keen to try an alternative to their unique pulled beef filling. While our focus is on savoury pies, they had a wide variety of very tempting sweet pies and delicious looking cakes. However, we held firm and went for the award-winning Lamb & Rosemary pie and the Beef, Cheese & Bacon.
- Pies: Lamb & Rosemary; Beef, Cheese & Bacon
- Pastry: This was the standout. The lid of the pie was so flaky and layered you could have imagined you were eating a croissant!
- Filling: Lamb & Rosemary pie was the clear winner, tender chunks of lamb in a mild gravy, delicious. The Bacon in the other pie, however, was a little strong and tasted more like ham.
- Cost: $6:20 for gourmet pies; $5:30 for classics.
- Sauce tax: 30 cents a sachet.